12/22/2014

papait a naigisa iti itlog, papait omelette

Papait a naigisa sa nalaokan iti itlog.
What's good and delicious about papait, besides the popular salad it is usually known for or associated with? Of course it can be sauteed in onions and garlic and some tomatoes or in just plain soy and/or oyster sauce adobo-style; and it can be the bitter substitute of paria leaves in an inabraw, or in boiled beans (mongo, beans, cowpea, etc.). But what else?

Why, or course, it's perfect for an omelette! But this fact I only recently known and realized courtesy of a friend, Fidel Sambaoa of Anvil Publishing. I used to make an omelette with almost every edible leafy greens like that of marunggay, bilonak, pechay, paria, kalunay, kamotig, saluyot, etc. but I didn't yet try papait leaves.

Cultivated a "hybrid" a nagdadakkelan
a papait a kadawyan a mailaklako iti tiendaan.

First, I sauteed the papait in cooking oil, garlic and onions, stir frying it quickly in high heat with some salt and pepper:


For a ginisa a papait, this could have sufficed:


But I want a papait omelette, so here I am about to pour beaten egg:


Stir quickly and evenly in moderate heat, the egg cooks quickly:


And it's done!


As simple as this, my first papait omelette:


There's this distinct or should I say unique papait aroma that's now blended with the egg that makes this omelette kind of "exotic" and insanely palatable, the bitterness splendidly and subtly subdued rendering it deliciously sweet.


This culinary kind of master dish requires a lot of steamed rice. I spiked it more with some KBL (kamatis-bugguong-lasona) to enhance its bitterness that I adored in its salad state.


:::::





More papait dishes:











2 comments:

  1. For more protein, I saute garlic, onions, tomatoes with a small can of ordinary sardines (either in natural oil or with tomato sauce). Add papait when everything is cooked. If desired, stir in one beaten egg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, where in the world can I order a Papait seeds, thank you 😊

    ReplyDelete