8/22/2012

pancit chronicles, episode 1: batil patung @ triangle's panciteria, tuguegarao city

Pancit batil patung a.k.a Pancit Tuguegarao (Triangle Panciteria version)
Pancit batil-patung is Tuguegarao City's most loved food and arguably Cagayan's most famous delicacy and the province's (and yes, Cagayan Ibanag's/Itawes') own noodle pride in the list of famed Philippine pancits (like pancit malabon, pancit habhab, pancit molo, pancit lucban, etc.). So much so that pancit batil patung is also called "Pancit Tuguegarao" or even "Pancit Cagayan" and "Pancit Ibanag" (although of course, the equally famous and sumptous Pancit Cabagan of Cabagan, Isabela is also an Ibanag pancit, for that matter).

Being in and out of Tuguegarao for more than a decade and half now, I say I'm used to eating batil patung that I can proudly claim I can now finish off a "super" or a "mega" serving of this venerated noodle dish. When I was a newbie pancit eater, I can only consume half way through a regular serving. Now, I eat pancit batil patung once or even twice a week in my various favorite panciterias in the city. It's becoming a necessity, a need, though not a luxury even if I pair it with a bottle of Red Horse. I got this pancit itch in me as I was adapted and acclimatized in this place and on the culture, the Ilokano me like all the Cagayano Ilokanos in here who love batil patung because it has become their own pancit, too.

So, here, I'll start documenting my pancit batil patung forays in Tuguegarao City and elsewhere in Cagayan.

Triangle's Panciteria is a simple noodle house wedged in between the fork of a road (the place or area is triangular, thus the name "triangle") in Ugac Norte, Tuguegarao City. The servings are offered in PhP45, Php50 and Php60 plates, with minimal to generous toppings of pork lechon carajay and pork liver adobo. For the curious, you can see/watch right the cooking of the pancit as it is an open lutuan, not secluded, no secret recipes to keep perhaps.
Occasional Triangle pancit eaters.
I ordered the 60-peso serving to take advantage of the promised heap of "karahay" and liver. First off, the usual chopped onions and calamansi slice is served, for the eater to mix his own sauce for his pancit according to his taste preference, with those fermented chili, powdered peppercorns (sometimes powdered chili is available) and that ubiquitous "Malabon" brand soy sauce ever so popular in Tuguegarao panciterias. Other pancitans let you to scoop or even chop your own bowlfuls of onions if you want more.

And so here's it, my 60-peso pancit is served, with the egg atop in prominence (the "nabatil" nga itlog is "naipatong"). As with other batil patungs in the city, the locally made miki (noodle) is flattish and not fully round. This is the trademark miki made in Tuguegarao specially for batil patungs. And well, there's the karahay, but where's the liver? I didn't mind to ask for it, as I was eager to devour my steaming hot pancit. I'm more contented with its generous sautéed ground carabao meat and pulverized pork chicharon, better luck next time with those liver bits.

I spiced up my pancit now, poured my own sauce with chopped onions and of course, those fermented sili ti sairo.

It's chow time, and it's getting messy now as I enjoy my hot and spicy pancit. Triangle's hefty sprinkles of chopped huge spring onions is a bonus, it's sweet and adds up more aroma and color that sets this batil patung apart from its peers in the city.

My plate's really getting messy, ahem, and now here's the soup to down the pancit and to wash off my palate the hotness of the chili.

***

The next day I dropped by the panciteria again and ordered the same 60-peso promise as I just can't get enough of the liverless batil patung I was forced to enjoy the other day. And luckily this time, the cook gave in to my cravings and served this liver-laden pancit batil patung! Need I repeat telling my tale of consumption with gusto? It deserves to be twice-told, of course. But I reserve that for the next posts on my planned series of blog about this blessed pancit.


:::::

0 comments:

Post a Comment