5/29/2012

dinengdeng a saba! banana/plantain stew

You might be surprised to know that saba (saging na saba, the dippig variety, plantain, banana) can also be made into a hearty dinengdeng! Well, it is, really, and I'm cooking it every time I fancy or when I terribly miss my mother's dinengdeng a saba which we often partake when I was still in Nueva Vizcaya. Folks here in Cagayan seem unaware that dippig a saba can be cooked as a masida (ulam, viand) or as dinengdeng. Most know only of its culinary significance in its ripen state as a kind of souring or sweetening agent in a lauya (boiled pork or beef). Or only as boiled saba, banana cue, or as a turon, or cooked in molasses/sugar to serve as an ingredient in halo-halo.

An Ilokano dinengdeng a saba with marunggay leaves.
(click on photo to enlarge)



Well, Ilokanos known for their industriousness, thriftiness and versatility in making both ends meet as to what could/would be served next on the dining table also cook saba as a delicious companion to innapuy (steamed rice). Just as they do with roots and tubers like sweet potato, taro, cassava, purple yam, tugi, etc., saba can be made into a baradibud-like dinengdeng.

Sangasapad a naata a saba. All you need is matured but not ripe saba.
(click on photo to enlarge)

Peel off the saba of its thick "skin" and endure the sticky sap. :-)
(click on photo to enlarge)

Cut the saba cross-wise into cute bite-size circulars.
(click on photo to enlarge)

Marunggay, what else, is the perfect partner!
(click on photo to enlarge)

Boil water with bugguong in the pan, simmer a little then put in the cut saba and cook until tender. Put in some onions to flavor its broth. Or some sagpaw like dried fish or shrimps. When the saba is tender, put off fire and just before serving, add the marunggay leaves. What you have is a simple Ilokano dinengdeng but a heavenly treat! 
(click on photo to enlarge)




.....

3 comments:

  1. Fine Filipino food. Healthy and good at the same time quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative! Something I must try, as my husband is also Ilocano, and I'm trying to learn more about Ilocano cuisine. I just made a dish featured in my blog that's also Dinengdeng, but w/Bangus, and so far, hubby loved it. I hope to learn more from you and maybe try the dishes you prepare to surprise him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'll try this one,, very good for breastfeeding mom like me...

    ReplyDelete